ATBOD Q and A

ATBOD Q&A with myself!

Welcome! I'm doing a quick Q&A for ATBOD: At the Border of Destiny, my M/M Fantasy novel, coming this September!

I asked the questions I thought you the readers would want to know. Let's dive in!


Q: This book is a Historical Fantasy, so when is it set?

A: It is set in the 1490s. So, late 15th Century. This is known as late Medieval and peak Renaissance period.

The twist is, this is an Alternate Timeline of history, so while it takes place on our world and in places we recognise (Low Fantasy), my timeline branched off at a major event, which creates a "what if...?" difference to the world we might recognise.

Most things in this world are the same! But some things are a little different from what you might expect. To me, that makes it fun! I love speculating on "what if...?" for history.


Q: Where is the book set?

A: Mercia, in Britain!

But wait! The Kingdom of Mercia wasn't around in the 15th Century, it had been absorbed by the formation of England long before that!

Aha! This is where it becomes Spec Fic, because my book has a couple of "what if...?" changes to the historical timeline. One of those changes is, what if England never formed? What if Britain was still individual warring kingdoms, from the period after the Romans left and all the way up to the turn of the 16th Century? This is how we end up in a small kingdom within Britain. 

Why did I do that?

Well, I really like the idea of lots of individual kingdoms! It feels more fairy tale vibes. 

Also, a divided land better represents the type of story I wanted to tell, with a Britain divided. Just with a prettier aesthetic, because knights in armour and fairy tales are more my vibe.

And I do think ATBOD is actually a very modern and relatable type of story, just dressed up in a fancy medieval costume. Almost like a LARP or TTRPG.

You can read more about the kingdoms here and see my map for the book!


Q: What's the other major "What if..?" in the book?

A: It is, what if the United Nations had formed in Medieval times? What would that look like?

And what if they actually enforced peace far and wide, what would that look like?

This is how the story starts, because Murad's job is an official messenger of this Medieval U.N. (The United Empires) so he has to go to far flung lands (Britain) to deliver messages.

He finds himself in a foreign court, and falls for the handsome prince he meets there, and ends up getting involved in his political business. 


That's the basic premise! 

Now some questions from my Instagram!

Q: Is the romance a fast or slow burn?

A: Good question! Perhaps somewhere in between? The two MCs meet early on, chapter two, and while they both have the hots for each other on sight, things are a little reserved due to the formality of their situation (a royal court) and the fact that they're strangers. 

They get to know each other over a few chapters, but once they are a couple they're both all in, and I really like that about them. They're very ride or die! Oaths are involved.

Next question!

Q: Where did your inspiration for this book start?

A: Brexit.

Yep, pretty much. This book is me processing my feelings about the horrible experience that Brexit was and continues to be. Which was why I presented Britain in my story as individual warring kingdoms; as a people divided and fighting themselves. In the start of the story, anyway.

I wanted to focus on people from all walks of life, and with immigrants and locals all coming together to start a brighter future together. That's my vision.

Final question!

Q: If the characters were animals in Animal Crossing, which kinds would they be?

A: I've never played this game! But most of the main characters have animal spirits guiding them, or use an animal symbol in their magic, so I'll go with that to answer this! 

Murad - horse (he's a horse boy!)

Aaron - lamb (symbolic) 

Mildgyth - cat (guardian)

Eleanor - fox (vibes) 

Astrid - wolf (her astral form) 


Thank you for your questions! 

ATBOD is out September 8, and e-ARC signups are open now

Signing off,

C. Quince.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old School Spy Meets New School Gadgets

An Intro to C.Quince author

Cover and Blurb Reveal!